Sometimes we forget one of our passwords. Before resetting it, you may have saved it in Windows and be able to see it. The combination of a username and a password in Windows is called a credential. To view your saved passwords in Windows you can follow these instructions:
- Click the Start button
- Start typing Credential Manager
- Click on Credential Manager when it appears
- In Credential Manager there are two sections, one for Web Credentials and one for Windows Credentials. Click the section you want to check.
NOTE: Most of the time you will be looking at Web Credentials. Windows Credentials are primarily for logging in to other Windows computers such as a cloud (remote) server. The process for viewing your password is the same.
- Scroll through the list until you find the site you want to see the password for.
For example, to find your Microsoft Office 365 password look for https://login.microsoftonline.com
NOTE: You are almost always going to look for sites that start with https (vs http). These are sorted below http (unencrypted) sites.
- Click on the down arrow
- Now you can see more information about the credentials. To view your password, click Show
- Windows will prompt you for authentication. This could be your WIndows PC password, Windows Hello (face recognition) or your PIN. Once authenticated you will see the password.
- When finished you can click Hide if you are going to view other passwords or close Credential Manager. Once closed all passwords will be hidden again.